Category Archives: Community

Committees – Committed

When you are on a committee of an organisation, there can be lots to do. It’s my fault.  I should learn to say “No” more often – but I don’t and get myself heavily involved in an organisation.  Currently, I … Continue reading

Posted in Community | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

Scary Domestic Violence Event

The Unexpected Scary Domestic Violence Event Yesterday, as I arrived at the railway station to catch a train to the city, not knowing that I would be involved in a scary domestic violence event.  I heard people shouting.  Initially, I … Continue reading

Home Grown

UBC – Day 28 Home Grown is Best! Home grown fruit and vegetables are best! Many folk do not, or have not, enjoyed the fruits of their own labour.  Especially now with many people living in apartments, there is little … Continue reading

Posted in Community, Environment | Leave a comment

More on Exercise for Seniors

UBC – Day 27 Exercise for Seniors I know that to improve our health we must exercise more.  However,  I am disappointed at the offering for ageing people. Let me explain. I am what is often referred to as a … Continue reading

Posted in Community, Health | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

Have you heard of Cricket?

UBC – Day 25 The Game of Cricket There are a handful of countries around the world that have cricket teams.  India, Pakistan, England, Australia, West Indies, South Africa, Sri Lanka, New Zealand to name a few. In summer, it … Continue reading

Posted in Community | Tagged , | Leave a comment

Australia Day Celebrations

UBC Day 20 Australia Day We’ve just celebrated Australia Day – a day that is fun for all the supporters of this event, and sadness for our Indigenous people.  The native aboriginal people call it “Invasion Day” as it was … Continue reading

Posted in Community | Tagged , , , | Leave a comment

Exercise for Seniors

UBC – Day 18 Getting Older I don’t exercise much these days. How I wish I could be more agile, like I was many years ago.  Getting old has its challenges and while I have been quite fit for most … Continue reading

Posted in Community, Health | Tagged , , , , | Leave a comment

Do You go to Movies Alone?

UBC – Day 14 It started a long time ago, when doing shift work, that I learned to enjoy my own company when going to the movies alone. Why go to the movies alone? When I look back, it has … Continue reading

Posted in Community | Tagged , , , | Leave a comment

Missing Child

UBC – Day 13 Missing Child There’s nothing scarier for a parent or grandparent than to experience a missing child. My grandchildren have grown up now, but some years ago, I experienced the trauma of a lost child.  “A”  was about … Continue reading

The Value of Fingerspelling

UBC – Day 11 Many years ago, my mother taught me about fingerspelling.  I learned  how to use my fingers to spell words without having to use my voice to communicate. Fingerspelling Skills It is the way deaf people and … Continue reading